Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Encino
Fierce & Reliable Representation in Southern California
With beautiful weather year-round in Los Angeles, biking is a popular activity
when opting to enjoy the outdoors. However, for those who are unfamiliar
with the streets of L.A., it is important to take extra caution when biking
because of the inherent dangers associated with the sport. Cycling can
be especially dangerous due to high motor vehicle traffic and inadequate
bike lanes and shoulders.
Even when these spaces are present, many drivers simply don’t pay
attention to them. When a cyclist is involved in an accident with a
motor vehicle, they can suffer
serious injuries including broken bones,
head trauma, and
spinal cord injury, even if they are wearing the appropriate safety gear. Not all bicycle
accidents are the fault of the automobile driver; some are due to the
cyclist’s carelessness, which is why
Vahdat & Associates urges all cyclists to obey California bicycle laws. If you or a loved
one has been injured or killed in a bicycle-vehicle accident, you need
the services of an experienced Encino bicycle accident attorney to make
sure the responsible party is held accountable.
To schedule a free initial consultation,
contact Vahdat & Associates online or call (888) 523-1698! We offer services in English, Spanish, Farsi,
Bicycle Laws in California
California Vehicle Code VC 21201 details the state’s bicycle requirements, which include:
Functional brakes: It is illegal (and dangerous) to ride a bike with faulty brakes.
Handlebars: These must be appropriately sized for the rider, and not above the rider’s
There are additional requirements for riding when it is dark outside:
- Bikes must be equipped with a lamp or headlight that can be seen from 300
feet to the front or either side of the bicycle
- The rear of the bike must be equipped with a red reflector that can be
seen from at least 500 feet away
- The bike pedals must be equipped with white or yellow reflectors
Statute of Limitations for Bicycle Accidents
In California, the victim of a bicycle accident has two years to file a
lawsuit for damages, known as the statutory period. If you do not file
your claim within this timeframe, a judge may bar your claim. Certain
exemptions apply if the victim was rendered incapable of filing a claim
or suffers from mental incompetence, especially if they become incompetent
due to the injuries sustained in the accident.
In addition, you may also receive an extension on the statutory period
if you did not appear to have any injuries at the time of the accident
but later discovered that you did have injuries that were due to the accident.
If you have any questions about your accident or your potential claim,
a bicycle accident attorney in Encino can help you determine whether or
when to file your claim. Consulting with one of our attorneys as soon
as possible will ensure that you file your claim before the statute of
limitations expires. Let our Los Angeles
personal injury law firm advocate on your behalf and hold those at fault accountable.
Determining Fault in Los Angeles Bike Accidents
In some states, the driver is always at fault in a car-bicycle accident.
In California, this is not the case; the fault lies with the negligent
party, and that party is responsible for all of the damages. Under California
law, negligence is defined as “failing to act in a manner expected
of a reasonably prudent person acting under similar circumstances.”
To prove the driver was acting negligently, the crash must have caused
property damage or personal injury. It must also be proved that the driver
acted carelessly and that their carelessness directly resulted in the crash.
If both parties are at fault in an accident, the state of California uses
what is known as a Pure Comparative Negligence Model. So, for instance,
if one party is 25% at fault and the other party is 75% at fault, the
former party is entitled to 75% of the damages, but they are accountable
for 25% of the total damages.
If you have been involved in a bicycle accident, call our Encino bicycle
accident lawyers toll-free today at 1-800-BUT-4-LAW for a confidential,
free, case evaluation. Serving the Los Angeles and San Fernando Valley
areas, we are dedicated to your personal injury case and committed to
ensuring you receive the financial compensation you are entitled to.
Do not hesitate to contact our lawyers at
(888) 523-1698 today!