Managing Pain After a Spinal Cord Injury
According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center at UAB, the most prevalent causes of spinal cord injury have changed dramatically in recent years. As of 2015, the most common causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Vehicular – 38%
- Slip and falls – 30%
- Violence – 14%
- Sports/Recreation Activities – 9%
- Medical/Surgical 5%
- Other – 4%
Currently, there are more than 330,000 people living in the United States with a spinal cord injury, and their average age is only 29 years old, with almost half (47%) of these injured victims being quadriplegic.
Life After a Spinal Cord Injury: Managing Your Pain
Spinal cord injuries, no matter how severe, can significantly impact all aspects of your life. If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury, you are well aware of the pain and suffering involved. Managing the pain can be difficult, but there are steps you can take to help. Here are some tips that may help you or your loved one to manage the pain after a spinal cord injury:
- Make note of any activities that cause you additional pain or fatigue.
- Keep a log of the length of time it takes for your pain level to increase the activities you listed above.
- When engaging in these activities, make sure to stop the activity and rest before you reach the time limit you noted in step 2.
- Make sure you get sufficient rest before you start any other activity. This will likely vary depending on the activity you were engaged in and the next activity you will start.
- Never rush during any activity. Take your time and allow your body to slowly increase its endurance. Make sure to never skip your full rest period. Avoid placing any additional pain or stress on your body, as it may aggravate your injury or even lead to additional injuries.
You should have an individually designed spinal cord injury pain management program. To ensure that this program is successful, you should do the following:
- Remain patient and flexible with your plan
- Make sure to go to all of your doctor appointments and follow your doctor’s instructions closely
- Take an active role in your treatment process and be your own best advocate
Call a Los Angeles Spinal Cord Accident Attorney Today!
The legal team at the Law Offices of Vahdat & Aboudi is dedicated to helping our injured clients reach the best monetary settlement when they are involved in any type of accident, and we have a wealth of experience handling spinal cord injury cases. If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury, or any other injury, in an accident that was caused by the negligent actions of another party, our experienced Los Angeles spinal cord accident attorneys are available to personally review your case. Call us at (888) 523-1698 to schedule a free consultation with our legal team today.