What You Need To Know If You Are In A Slip And Fall Accident
Slip and fall accidents are one of the main causes of serious injuries in this country. If you have fallen on a property as a result of the negligence of the property owners and managers, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages. However, in order to ensure that you are able to recover the full extent of your damages, there are certain things you need to do in order to protect your legal rights. In this post, we will discuss the actions you need to take if you have been injured in a slip and fall accident.
What To Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
After a slip and fall accident it is extremely important that you take the following steps:
- Seek immediate medical attention. If you have suffered serious injuries, you or someone else at the scene of the accident should call 911 immediately and have you taken to the emergency room for care. If you don’t require emergency care, you should still see a doctor as soon as possible as some injuries don’t show symptoms for days after an accident.
- File an incident report with the property manager. Ask the manager at the business or premises where you fell to file an incident report on your behalf and make certain that this report contains your version of how the accident happened.
- Gather as much evidence as possible. The best way to collect evidence is to take photographs of the area where you fell or the conditions at the property that caused you to fall. If an object caused you to slip and fall, make sure that you save that object. You should also make note of the date, time, and the specific location of your accident, as well as noting factors such as the lighting conditions and climate conditions.
- Refrain from making any statements. You know the saying “Anything you say can and will be used against you.” Well, that is true in the case of a slip and fall accident as well. Any comments that you make to the property owners or anyone else can, and most often will be used against you. In addition, make sure NOT to give any recorded statements to an insurance adjuster, as you run the risk of this reducing, or even completely eliminating, your ability under the law to recover any damages.
- Hire an experienced Los Angeles slip and fall attorney. An attorney who specifically deals with premises liability cases can increase the likelihood of recovery for your medical bills, loss of income, loss of earning capacity, pain, and suffering, and any other costs you may have sustained as a result of your accident.
At Vahdat & Aboudi, our experienced Los Angeles slip and fall attorneys are dedicated to helping our clients and their loved ones receive the greatest monetary settlement possible when they are involved in a slip and fall accident.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident that was caused by the negligent actions of the property management or owner, our experienced Los Angeles premises liability attorneys are available to personally review your case free of charge. Call us at (888) 523-1698 to schedule a complimentary consultation today.