Thousands of elderly people are abused, exploited or neglected in the United States every year. Most of these victims are over the age of 65, vulnerable, and frail. The most common type of elder abuse happens in nursing homes. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 500,000 elderly Americans are abused or neglected each year. These statistics are likely underestimated since the majority of these victims cannot report the abuse themselves.
All 50 states have passed laws with the goal preventing nursing home and elder abuse. Nursing home abuse can include a variety of things, such as:
- Physical abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Emotional abuse
If you have a loved one in a nursing home and suspect they are being abused, you should immediately talk to an authority. You should also consult with Los Angeles elder abuse attorney to protect the legal rights of your loved ones and help them seek justice.
What Are the Warning Signs of Elder Abuse?
The signs of elder abuse often go unnoticed by loved ones. As such, it is important to know what to look for. Some common signs of elder abuse include:
- Bruises, marks, abrasions, burns or broken bones. These could be a sign of some sort of abuse, mistreatment or neglect. This is especially concerning if there is no explanation provided from the nursing home about the injury.
- Unusually withdrawn from daily activities or a sudden change in attentiveness or alertness. In other cases your loved one may show signs of depression. These all could be signs of elder abuse.
- Bruises around the genitalia. This is also a common sign of sexual abuse in the nursing home.
- Any change in the financial status of your loved one. This could be a warning that there is some sort of financial exploitation of your elderly loved one.
- Any sort of threats, belittling or use of power. This may also be a strong sign of emotional or verbal abuse.
Overall, you should always be alert to any possible signs that could indicate the abuse of your elderly loved one in a nursing home. Unfortunately, most elders who are abused cannot voice their pain and the abuse they suffer. It is up to their loved ones to be on the lookout for any telltale signs of nursing home abuse.
If you believe that your loved one may be a victim of nursing home abuse or any other type of elder abuse, it is imperative that you immediately contact a Los Angeles elder abuse attorney.
Consult with a Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Los Angeles
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with an experienced Los Angeles nursing home or elder abuse attorney, call the Law Offices of Vahdat & Associate at (888) 523-1698. Attorney Ghazal Amy Vahdat and her legal team are ready to fight for you.