Man Killed In a Hit-and-Run Accident In Whittier
In the early morning hours on October 24th, a man was killed in a hit-and-run accident on the 605 Freeway near Slauson Avenue in Whittier.
Prior to the fatal accident, the California Highway Patrol received a call at around 2 a.m. reporting that a black Chevrolet Camaro was driving recklessly and weaving in and out traffic.
The collision caused two cars to catch fire. Although firefighters were able to pull three people to safety, one man lost his life. The driver of the Camaro fled the scene of the accident.
No description of the driver or the car has been released as of yet. At this time, the cause of the accident is still unknown and under investigation.
5 Things To Do After a Hit-and-Run Accident
California Vehicle Code sections 20002 and 20003 require drivers to stay at the scene of the accident if someone is hurt or any property is damaged. Fleeing the scene of an accident (commonly referred to as a hit-and-run accident) is not just unethical, but it is also considered a serious crime with serious penalties.
Below are 5 things you should consider if you are a victim of a hit-and-run accident:
- Safely pull over. It is not a wise decision to chase or apprehend after the party who fled the scene of the accident. This can make the situation exponentially worse.
- Immediately call the police. After pulling over to safety, immediately call the police. Not doing so can result in your insurance company dragging out the claims process or denying it altogether.
- Get as much evidence as possible. This is especially important in hit-and-run accidents. You should jot down every piece of information you can remember including:
- What happened immediately before and after the accident happened
- Details of what the other car looked like, including the make and model
- The license plate of the other car, or as many numbers on it as you can remember
- Any details about what the driver looked like
- Look for witnesses. If there are any witnesses to the accident, be sure to get their contact information and write down what they saw.
- Contact your insurance company. You should file a claim with your insurance company.
Contact an Experienced San Fernando Valley Car Accident Attorney
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with an experienced San Fernando Valley car accident attorney, call the Law Offices of Vahdat & Associate at (888) 523-1698. Attorney Ghazal Amy Vahdat and her legal team are ready to fight for you.